License Information

Garage Sale Permit

The City of Glens Falls Code, Section 170 (special sales) - Article II (garage sales) require anyone conducting a garage sale, lawn sale, or any similar casual sale of tangible personal property to first obtain from the City Clerk a garage sale permit. The fee for the permit is $2, good for two consecutive sale days.

Peddling, Soliciting & Transient Merchants Licenses

Anyone wishing to conduct a transient retail business of any type must first obtain a license from the City Clerk. Should you wish to obtain a hawking / peddling, soliciting, or transient merchants license, as a first step in the process, please fill out the peddling, soliciting, and transient merchants license application (PDF).

When completed, please submit the form to the City Clerk's Office for processing. The City Clerk will inform you of the pertinent fees, exemptions (if applicable), and City code regulations. All transient retail licenses must be reviewed and approved by the chief of police and mayor before issuance of a license.

Mobile Food Permit

If you wish to operate a mobile food cart or truck, you need to obtain a permit from the City Clerk. The Mobile Food Application (PDF) needs to be turned in to the Clerk and approved by the Glens Falls Police. It will then go to the Common Council for approval. The process can take up to a month, so please plan accordingly.

Encroachment Permit

Outside Dining and Curb Cuts

     First time applicants will need their application approved by the Planning Board. The applicant must be present at the meeting to answer any questions. The Planning Board meets the first Tuesday of every month. Once the Planning Board approves the application, it then needs approval by the Common Council, which meets the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. Renewals for outside dining with no changes will only need Common Council approval.

Street Openings

     Applications need to be reviewed and approved by the City Engineer and Building & Codes Department before getting approval from the Common Council.

All other Encroachment Permits (PDF) will need approval by the Building & Codes Department and then Common Council.

Additional License Information